Welcome to Queen Zee’s Poetic Adventures!
Inspired by classic children’s television, Queen Zee’s Poetic Adventures takes viewers to a magical world of joyful, engaging poetry lessons for kids. Created for students in 2nd-5th grades, this five-episode series is ELA and SEL-focused, aligned with Common Core standards, and, best of all, fun!
Queen Zee is the Royal Protector of the Human Soul, and her favorite way to feed and nourish the soul is to write poetry with young people. Starring Chicago Poetry Center Poet in Residence Leslie Reese, Queen Zee’s Poetic Adventures leads students through CPC’s time-tested curriculum and is based on successful lessons taught in Chicago Public School classrooms.
Each lesson includes a no-prep teacher resource guide and downloadable student workbook (editable PDF and printable), as well as points in the video to pause and work together as a class on your brainstorm and writing.
Check out the trailer for Queen Zee’s Poetic Adventures!
Free, No-Prep Educational Resource
Queen Zee’s Poetic Adventures is a free, no-prep educational resource. We designed this program for Chicago Public School classrooms, but we’re offering it to all educators in Chicago classrooms and beyond. Complete this form and check your email for instant access to on-demand videos, teacher resource guides, and student workbooks. Scroll down for more information on individual episodes.
Each Episode Includes:
- A corresponding student workbook and teacher resource guide
- Key ELA vocabulary words such as line, stanza, repetition, perspective, and more
- SEL-focused questions to inspire self-reflection and creative self-expression
- A model poem performed in various neighborhoods across Chicago
- A response poem written by a Chicago Public Schools student
- A brainstorming/prewriting exercise to lead students into the writing process
- A movement-based exercise to warm up the body and refresh the mind
- Scroll down for a list of topics and poetry covered by episode